Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Selbu Modern


Pattern: Selbu Modern by Kate Gagnon
Yarn: Brown Sheep Nature Spun Sport in Ash and leftovers of Mountain Colors Bearfoot in blue-green and purple.
Needles: US2 and US3

One of the first posts I ever put up here was about a failed attempt at a tam. I'm not going to link the post because it was embarrassingly bad, but suffice to say, I have a very large head and tams don't usually work on me. Having said that, it's not an understatement to say that I was obsessed with this hat. I furiously contemplated colors for it, and eventually settled on this light grey-ish brown and some leftover blue-green Bearfoot which has been in my stash for years. I knit it in two days (halfway through Day 2 I discovered that I didn't have quite enough Bearfoot in that color, so I switched to purple and the end result is really very organic), danced around in anticipation of it drying from the blocking, and discovered that it was too big. "Too big? Really?" I said to myself. Yup, too big. What's a girl to do when she's obsessively in love with a too big hat? Rip and reknit? But I don't have circulars in smaller sizes. Clearly the answer here is to shrink it. So I got it wet and popped it in the dryer for 10 or 15 minutes, checking often to make sure that I would get something resembling an adult tam when I was done. The result? A tam with a perfect fit, slightly felt-y which makes it light and warm.

I think I've just discovered my new go-to hat for the winter.


2 comments:

Kara said...

Oh, this Selbu is so fab! And it looks so cute on you. This tam is sooo working for you.

Beth said...

Looks great! I'm thinking of knitting this same pattern once my holiday queue is clear. I love your color choices.