Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What I've been up to


Well, for one thing, I've been in Texas. The Wind Symphony played the finale concert for the CBDNA national conference (College Band Directors National Association). We played a very challenging program, and we extremely well received. It really was a great time. We had a bit of free time, and I was strangely relaxed the whole time, in spite of little sleep and a lot of work. I guess I just needed a bit of time out of my life, because now that I'm back in it, everything's the same a usual.

We went to the Capitol, which was kind of cool for about a half an hour. Saw the congressional chambers and some really gruesome paintings of the Texas War for Independence. We walked around campus of University of Texas, which had this really cool spaghetti sculpture.
Which turned us immediately into children. We had a lot of fun walking around in it (it's allowed! I swear!) and taking pictures.


We ate an absurd amount of barbeque at the Salt Lick, which, if you've never been and you're in the vicinity of Austin, you really should. The meat itself is not super special in my opinion, but the sauce, oh the sauce. I'd eat just about anything with that sauce on it. I ate so much, that I wasn't hungry again for days. Days!
But mostly we were there to play, and play we did. I can't wait to hear the final report for our director next week. From the reception we got, I'd say we blew them out of the water.

Oh, and I knit. Our flight home was delayed by 5 hours. And then when we finally landed, we sat for an hour on the runway waiting to be parked. This is Ishbel, nearly complete at this point, in Dream in Color Smooshy in "Butter Peeps."

No comments: