Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Other things I love

I love books. Love them. Last year when I moved to North Carolina, I had to get rid of a bunch of books - half of my library to be exact - and I cried. Because books have always been my best, most loyal friends. And even though I gave a bunch of them to a friend I knew would take care of them the way I would, and the rest went to the library to finance even more books, I spent a couple of days depressed.

Why am I going into this? Well, I imagine there will be a number of entries on this blog involving books, and I thought I'd give you fair warning. And also, because this blog has to do with a book about knitting. Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter to be exact.

I bought this book last week and finished in two days, and that was by holding back. This book is an addictive collection of short essays perfect for before-bed reading or in a quick moment running from one place to another. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (Go to her blog if you haven't already. You won't be sorry. Go now.) has an incredible voice, and an unabashed acknowledgement of her knitting neuroses. I can't personally identify with a lot of her craziness (I like to pretend that I'm perfectly normal all the time) like her numerous essays about her stash, but every single story has an element of humor which I highly appreciate. I've not read any more of her books, but based on this one, my library is in serious trouble.

Oh, and the Ballet Camisole? Off the needles. I just have to add the crocheted edgings and ruch the front (which may be interesting... may have to find some elastic thread). Initially, the top is on the verge of being too big. Knit Picks Shine Sport is supposed to be machine washable and dryable, so I put a swatch in the wash yesterday. If it shrinks a bit, that wouldn't be the worse thing ever.

FO shots later this week?

No comments: