Monday, April 23, 2007

The view from the other side

Well, I've survived my recital, which wasn't nearly the dire situation that I was leading you to believe.... not in the end, anyway. There was a pretty scary half an hour where my mom and I hit both a train and a bridge (and what seemed like every single red light) getting to the church, which meant that we were 20 minutes late, leaving me and my accompanist excatly 40 minutes to warm up for the both of us. But in the end, everything was fine. I even played better than I was expecting for the most part. So now it's on to grad school planning...

And in knitting news, I finished one of my socks.

Aren't the colors fun? The colors turned out way better than I was expecting. The yarn is very interesting, too. It's a cotton/wool/acrylic blend that has a crepe-y feel - and is more comfortable than I was expecting. It's quite light and airy. It will be interesting to see how it washes - supposedly machine washable.


The one thing I don't like is the heel. You can't really see it in this pic, but it's a little long for me, which means that it's kind of baggy. It's a case of "I was following the directions, even though I suspected that this would happen." So, the other will be made to match (because I'm for sure not going to rip it out to the heel) and I'll know in the future that I really only need a 2 1/4-2 1/2 inch heel, no matter how many chain stitches the pattern says to have. More info on pattern and whatnot when I finish the second sock...

Also, I'm nearly done with the knitting on my Ballet Camisole. It looks like it will fit (yay!) although it may be a little shorter in the length than I'd like. It's funny. I've had this problem a couple of times lately, and I wonder if it has to do with the width-length ratio, but it seems like everything I've been making lately looks a LOT longer in the pictures with the patterns than in the ones that I make.

I'm thinking of stocking up on some sock yarn for summertime knitting. Anyone have suggestions? I'd like something that's beautiful, but also washes nicely....

No comments: