Saturday, January 19, 2008

Anastasia

I love me a pair of handknit socks.

Pattern: Anastasia by Mintyfresh
Yarn: Brown Sheep Wildfoote, 1.5 skeins in Purple Splendor
Needles: US 1
Mods: Shortened the leg a bit.
New techniques: Toe-up socks! This is my first pair, and I am quite tickled. I like not having to graft, and the heel turning seems much faster and easier. I don't like the lack of depth on the toe and I wonder how that same lack of depth on the heel would effect other patterns. That said, they fit perfectly.

I'm contemplating new ways around this blog... I'm definitely going to keep it, but I think that it will turn into a finished objects only kind of thing, unless I stumble across some problem or bit of news... We'll see how it goes. Nevertheless, you shouldn't be waiting too long for the next FO. Seat of the Pants cardi is getting close, close, close!

I got a wonderful little package from Knitpicks this week. My aunt had given me a gift certificate for Christmas, and in my little package was The Opinionated Knitter by Elizabeth Zimmermann, Knitting on the Road by Nancy Bush, a bottle of Euclan, US 6 16" circulars (which do not seem to exist outside of mail order), and one ball of Elegance in Daisy to finish my cardi. This is plenty enough to get me into some serious trouble this weekend. The needles are for my brother's hat which he commissioned me to make last, um, May. Yeah, about that. I've been putting it off because 1) I didn't have the needles and 2) he really wasn't open to any fun patterns or anything. Enter EZ. In The Opinionated Knitter there is a pattern for a Very Warm Hat which is lined. This seems to me to be a perfect solution to satisfying both of us. Not only will it be warmer with a double layer ( the yarn is a hemp/wool blend which knits up like a cotton) but I can sneak in some fun designs on the inside. And should he decide that he likes the pattersn, well, it's reversible. Only one slight snafu. I lost the measurements I took last May.....

No comments: