Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Seat of the Pants Cardi

Seat of the Pants Cardi
Pattern: My own, based on the Anthropologie Inspired Capelet
Yarn: Knit Picks Elegance in Daisy
Needles: US 5 and US 3
Buttons: 11 plastic from a big box store

I liked the Antropologie Inspired Capelet, but I knew that a capelet was not going to flatter my body, and what I needed anyway was a nice-fitting cardigan, and I had all this Knit Picks Elegance lying around from a failed project. I loved the color and the yarn, so the Seat of the Pants cardi was born. I call it that because I really didn't know what would happen once I started this. Would I have enough yarn? Would a top down pattern work even after my repeated failures at making a top down pattern fit? Well, I had to order an extra ball of yarn, which after going through my stash searching for something else and running across an unused ball just sitting there I realize I didn't need to do.

Here's how it worked:
1. Unravel Ms. Marigold. Wind all the bits and ends into one big ball. Because it had already been frogged once because of the way the pattern worked, there were lots of bits and ends.
2. Determine gauge
3. Decide on size of neckline. I wanted something quite a bit wider than the original, which would also save on yarn.
4. Follow instructions on pattern for dividing stitches based on gauge. Decide to keep yarn over increases for interest.
5. Knit like mad. Insert two short rows for the girls. Also, cast on four stitches at underarm to attempt to make the body circumfrence and raglan length compatible.
6. Add waist shaping, decreasing three times one inch apart after knitting to below bust and increasing three times one inch apart.
7. Knit to desired length.
8. Order extra ball of yarn.
9. Knit ribbing at arm holes. Knit on button band. Frog because the math didn't work to my satisfaction. Knit again. Knit button hole band.
10. Realize buttons have been left at parent's house.
11. Swear.
12. Block, stretching considerably because despite my best caculations, it's a bit tight.
13. Get buttons. Sew them on.
14. Wear on freakishly warm day (44 degrees yesterday) preceding freakishly cold day (10 degrees today).

I'm not sure if I'm really in love with this. I think if I were to knit it again, I wouldn't make the neckline so wide. It's a bit wider than I really wanted. Also, I think I would eliminate the short rows. You can see in the pic that the front points dip down a bit. Also, I think I would eliminate the waist shaping, and I would find a stretchier bind off for the botton. Despite binding off with US 5, this sucker is stretched to the limits over my hips. Other than that, I love the yarn both the color and the softness. And I love the buttons. And the armholes fit perfectly. All in all, the jury's still out on this one, but not bad for a first "design."

If you, like me, are finding that your patience is not up to watching that drivel that they are marketing as TV with the writers' strike continuing, may I suggest The Complete Jane Austen on PBS. Sunday nights here in Michigan. And the best part is that it's continuing through to the spring!

3 comments:

ithaca_chick said...

I think its super cute!

wazz said...

Lovely - the colour and the tiny sleeves especially. Very springlike!

Kara said...

i like it! your mods made you quite the darling sweater.