Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!

Ok, so it's an Anti-Valentine's Day party.

But my grandma gave me this pan recently, and I felt compelled to use it, and you know I don't need a giant heart-shaped cookie lying around my apartment. All of the usual suspects for pawning off baked goods have sworn off goodies for Lent. So, Anti-Valentine's party it is. The cookie recipe is off the wrapper for the pan. No word on how good it is yet, though it looks just fine. The wrapper also had lots of ideas for other uses besides heart-shaped cookies. Heart-shaped pizza anyone? The frosting recipe is from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. If you don't have this book, GET IT NOW. No joke. The pictures are beautiful, and the cupcakes are to die for. No need to tell anyone that they're vegan. Or that they have whole wheat flour in them. I made the Cookies and Cream cupcakes last weekend (no pics because it was too dark when I finished) and they were fabulous. The frosting recipes are hands down the best I've ever tasted. This chocolate one is so thick and richly chocolately that I, never a particular chocolate lover, am in danger of inhaling the leftovers. It would have been lighter had I used my hand mixer, but I didn't fancy cleaning up a coating of chocolate and powdered sugar off my kitchen. Again. So the consistency is very fugde-like. Whether you are celebrating Valentine's or Anti-Valentine's, I suggest you add a heart-shaped cookie with chocolate frosting to your day.


No comments: