Friday, May 23, 2008

All by Myself

Look, it's a cute little A-line skirt!


But, wait. It ties!
And it has pockets!!

I'm pleased as punch with this wrap skirt. Unfortunately, I don't have the pattern with me, so I can't tell you what it is. I think it's McCall's, or Simplicity. But probably McCall's, and it's in their current catalog. It's a "Suddenly You're Sewing!" "One-Hour Skirt!" type of thing with three views. I chose the one with pockets because for me pockets are a make-it-or-break-it deal. I also can't give you any good details about the fabric, except that it's 100% cotton, and very soft. Also, I think it was on sale.

It took me a whole weekend to sew this. And, if you want the truth, I didn't do it all by myself. There was a whole lot of yelling for mom as I ran into things I didn't understand or sewed things incorrectly. Really, I did all the sewing, but she did all the hand holding.

The one modification I made (besides shortening it A LOT) was to use two big snaps instead of buttons to close the skirt. This was out of necessity, because I finished this somewhere in the middle of a Sunday night when mom was already in bed, but I think it turned out for the best, since now it's easily adjustable, and there aren't any buttons making impressions on my stomach.

I'm wearing it as I write this, though it's not quite warm enough here yet to justify a skirt. I'm hoping though....

No comments: