Saturday, May 24, 2008

Child's First Sock in Shell Pattern

Pattern: Child's First Sock in Shell Pattern from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush
Yarn: Brown Sheep Nature Spun Sport in Blueberry
Needles: US 1
Mods: Shorter leg, longer foot. These are acutally on the verge of being too long for me in the foot since I had to add a full extra repeat when what I really needed was half a repeat in order to get back to the correct stitch count.

I'm inclined to agree with Wendy. Somehow, putting holes in your socks ON PURPOSE just seems wrong. But a very pretty kind of wrong. I'm not a huge fan of lace socks. My feet freeze as a normal course of action, so I like to surround them in as much wool as possible. Funnily enough, after I finished the first one, I tried it on with a regular old cotton sock on my other foot which I had been wearing already, and the handknit one (holes or no holes) was definitely warmer. Still, I think this is as lacy as I will get. And I can jump around pretending to be a mermaid, since my feet look like they're covered in blue scales. So it's win-win.

A note on sizing: The pattern says that these are for women's shoe sizes 6 1/2 to 7 1/2. I wear a 9, but I have what they call a "low-volume foot" which means that while my feet aren't narrow, they are skinny vertically. My mom just thinks this is another term for fallen arches. Whatever. In any case, these fit me perfectly. Of course, that might be because I *cough* didn't check gauge *cough*. Don't call the knitting police on me. It all worked out in the end.

No comments: