Saturday, February 21, 2009

When life gives you lemons....

Yesterday about lunchtime I nearly had a panic attack as I was browsing through my planner, trying to get my head around my schedule for the next two months. My brother's wedding, my recital, the Wind Symphony tour to Austin, oral exams, ski trip Up North, two auditions.... suddenly there just aren't enough hours in the day, and even if there were, I have a limited physical capacity to make these things happen.

Clearly, I needed to bake something. Enter, Gingery Pear and Cranberry Crisp.

I'm not very good at following directions, especially cooking directions, so this is a completely bastardized version of several recipes I found online. Luckily, I wrote it down, so you can make it too!

Gingery Pear and Cranberry Crisp
Filling:
4 ripe pears
3/4 c fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 T fresh grated ginger
1 T cornstarch
1/3 c sugar
pinch of salt

Topping:
1/2 c rolled oats
1/4 c flour
1/4 c wheat germ
1/4 c oil
1/4 c brown sugar
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350. Peel and slice pears. Layer in an 8x8 inch pan. Combine the cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Toss with the pears. Sprinkle cranberries on top. In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the topping, mixing until crumbly. Spread over pears and cranberries. Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes until browned and bubbly.

The result is somewhat juicy, but completely delicious. Using ripe pears is key, since they do not break down in the oven like apples do. Far be it for me to tell you have to follow the recipe. Do what feels right to you and then tell me about it!

The verdict: the crisp - yummy. My life - still panic inducing.

1 comment:

Kara said...

One day at a time! You can do it. And that crisp looks like a delicious outlet.