Thursday, May 21, 2009

From the Outside

I'm one of those people who gets embarrassed when she brings things to the checkout, always thinking that the cashier is wondering what kind of nut buys toilet paper, drain cleaner, fake crab, and a Mother's Day card. The cashier could probably care less. The cashier gets all kinds of weirder combinations coming through daily. The cashier can't tell the difference between a cucumber and a zucchini, so why should the cashier care what you're doing with the fake crab and toilet paper?

I admit, when I went through the checkout today, I had a qualm. In my hands was the latest Knit.1, Rachel Gibson's most recent release (True Love and other Disasters), and Vegan with a Vengeance. I know what it looks like: Crazy, repressed cat lady with a thing for horrible, scratchy sweaters and rabbit food. Ok, crazy, yes. Repressed, very likely. Cats, no. Horrible, scratchy sweaters, no. Rabbit food, depends on your definition. These are the things that I like: beautiful sweaters, stories with glowing, happy endings, and vegetables with little animal-product interference. I hate that I care what the cashier was thinking as he rang up my bill (yes, it was a he. It always is, isn't it, when you're out of tampons?). I really hate it, but there it is. I care what people see when I'm holding a pile of potential crazy. What do you see? What was the most embarrassing pile of purchases you ever made?

In other news, I have been knitting, just not blogging about it. For whatever reason, I'm just not that motivated to finish projects, or when I do finish them to photograph them. Maybe when Sarah gets into town, she'll take some pictures for me... In any case, it is what it is, so bear with me.

1 comment:

Ithaca_chick said...

Sure, i will take photos...maybe I'll bring all my recentish projects and have you take photos for me too!