Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The truth is...

I lasted one day on that detox diet. It was only supposed to be two days long. I spent all this time preparing for it, and looking forward to it, and then yesterday when I woke up feeling more nauseous than I can remember feeling in a very long time (like, lying on the couch in a cold sweat and willing myself not to vomit) I decided that this thing wasn't worth it. I don't like dandelion greens or escarole. I like lemon water, but not in the ratio of half a lemon to 8 oz. of water. I hate steamed spinach (though I like chard and kale). In the end, I learned a lot. I thought that what I needed was to go further into myself but what I really needed was outward, not inward. What I needed was yesterday - taking off to Ann Arbor with a friend, getting this little thing on my clarinet fixed that has been driving me crazy all year, going to Zingerman's and buying really good bread and artisanal cheese and pastries, chatting all afternoon, and eating dinner in my apartment of all the things we bought this afternoon. Let me tell you what's not on the detox diet - wheat, dairy, and sugar - but I felt so much better after yesterday than I have in a while now. It's like they said on Radio Lab, laughter is not about what's funny. It's about communicating. I needed to be out, not in. Consider my slate clean.

1 comment:

Ithaca_chick said...

Sounds like a very nice day :-) We shall have a few too when I come visit! No detoxing allowed then either!