Sunday, December 13, 2009

I've been sick this week. It's been so long since I've been really sick - stay home from work sick - that I've completely forgotten how miserable it can be. Not just the sneezing and the headaches, sore throats and excessive Kleenex usage, but the boredom of it all! I think I watched about 6 of those Lifetime Christmas movies the past week, started sewing a dress (which will not be finished because of fitting issues), made a monster, started a new sweater, and made these mittens. They are based on a vintage pattern I picked up a few years back. I have no idea what decade the pattern is from - it's a Patons' pattern and judging from the color scheme of the original (yellow and burnt orange) I'd guess it's from the 70s. The original is for children, but I loved the criss-cross and tassel detail so much that I decided to translate them for adults.

Pattern: My own
Yarn: Cascade 220 in Italian Plum (I think?) and Classic Elite Wings (discontinued, and leftover from my Cardigan for Arwen) in a lavender.
Needles: US 4 and a crochet hook in size F

The mittens themselves were super quick to knit, even while basically making up a new pattern. It took a bit longer to get the proportions right on the length of the crocheted chain versus the number and spacing of the criss-crosses. I adore them, but they are a tad small for me. I seem to make this mistake a lot in my crafts for myself. Anyway, if they fit a certain friend of mine, she will be getting them as a Christmas gift. These are really great for last minute gifts. If there's intrest, I can write up the pattern quickly and offer it for free through Ravelry for last minute gifting.

No comments: