Sunday, October 7, 2007

Enough already

I am wearing jean shorts and a white tank top that is so brief I wouldn't have even worn it today except I knew I wasn't going to be leaving the apartment. I tell you this because it was 88 degrees today. Tomorrow isn't looking much cooler. Let's have a date check for a second. Ah yes, October 7th. And so I say again: ENOUGH ALREADY!

It looks like fall, if you don't go outside. The leaves are falling off the trees. The acorns are littering the ground. The squirrels are freaking out. And it's 88 degrees. We have NAKED TREES, people. NAKED.

I will not speculate as to why it was snowing on Easter and now it's blistering in October. That will just upset me more, but I have given serious consideration to the idea that Daylight Saving time has somehow messed with our seasons, skewing the seasons over time so now all of the seasons start later than they "should." Or maybe we missed a couple of Leap Years. Come to think of it, we haven't had one in a while, have we?

Well, if fall won't come to me, I must come to fall. Baked apples:

Pumpkin bread with raisins and a shmear of butter and hot spiced cider:
Butternut and Shiitake Ragu and an oatmeal stout:
Although, instead of making me feel all fall-y and stuff, all this fall inspired cooking is just making me sweaty.

Rusted Root is coming along nicely. This was the progress last night before my evening knitting session so it's a few inches longer now. Thank you Sense and Sensibility. This picture is crappy, and I wouldn't have even put it up, except that I've been putting up so many pictures of food lately, you'd think this was turning into a food blog! So, crappy, unfocused pic of me in my bathroom mirror, wearing a half-finished sweater. The color is nothing like this, by the way. It's not orange at all, but a pink-y orange-y red. Watermelon, just like the color is named. This is after I finished the waist shaping, so I'm pretty pleased with the fit so far. The only thing is that the sleeves are quite big. Luckily they don't look it in the pic. I think it will all work out. I may try to do some more decreases before I finish the ribbing on them, but I don't want the sleeves to be too long. The length looks good right now, so maybe not. We'll have to wait and see.

No comments: