Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Where has the time gone?

March 12th already? I feel like it's been ages since my last post. But I can't say I'm sorry that March is almost half over. I really dislike the month of March. By this time I'm usually about done with winter, and it's so grey and stormy and it seems like March just hangs around forever. I have, however, quite the little back-log of projects to show you.

First off, the striped yoke is done. Has been for more than a week yet, but I haven't blocked it. Honestly, I probably won't until next winter. I'm not likely to wear it in what's left of this winter. The fit is ok. It's kind of big, which I sort of planned and sort of didn't. Anyway, it satisfies my need for a weekend-y kind of sweater.

Yarn: Patons Classic Merino in Olive and Rich Red
Needles: US 7
Pattern: EZ Seamless Yoke

Last week, I was able to make use of my mom's sewing machine. I made this super cute tote bag with fabric I bought back in December. The dahlia print is a Liz Claibourne decorator fabric I got on clearance. The patter was from SEW: Sew Everything Workshop. I did some modifying to make sure I could use it for what I wanted, which was as a bag to hold all my teaching supplies: etude books, pencils, schedule, ect. It's really perfect, and I love the print. It's so retro and just speaks to me for some reason. The inside is a contrasting fabric in red-orange and I added an internal pocket in the dahlia print. I have a bunch of fabric left over, which has no particular plan. I bought way more than I needed because it was such a deal. I really want to use it. This print just makes me so happy!


The only thing I don't like about this tote is that the lining is too big. The pattern has you cut the lining and outside the exact same size. For me, this made a sloppy lining. It is settling into place now, but it's not perfect. I've found, having made three projects from this book, that I love the ideas, but the execution is not the best. First off, you need to be careful and check that seam allowances are included in the sizes you're told to cut so you end up with the size it says the project should be. This tote pattern has three options, and for one of the three, seam allowances are not included. Second, the styling on the projects makes them out to be more than they really are. Scale is an issue. Many objects look bigger or smaller than they actually are. And depsite what the finished object size says, it is hard to reconcile what you see with what the pattern says. I don't think I will be making any more projects directly out of this book. I will, however, take the suggested projects into consideration when buying patterns as a beginning sewer.

And last, I received my ATCs from the Project Spectrum swap.
Thanks a lot Kristen and Chandler!

No comments: